Friday, November 6, 2009

The Unfaithful Bride

My love, how can you look at me? An unfaithful bride I’ve been to thee
I swore to love you and always stay, but when you’ve pulled, I’ve pushed away
My spirit is willing your way to seek, but my flesh is poisoned and weak
With my mouth I give you praise, but with my hands I disobey
My heart is wicked and full of dirt; my mouth is vile and prone to curse
My feet are swift to take revenge and my hands are twitching to avenge
In selfishness I live my day; not often enough do I pray
I’m often selfish, rude, and snide. I don’t thank you when you provide
Whenever I don’t get my way, I shake my fist and disobey
When trial comes I doubt your plan; I’d rather face it myself instead
My mind is overrun with greed and in me vanity sows its seed
I spread gossip, trash, and lies. Other’s feelings I despise.
I love the world and look like it too; they cannot see a trace of you
At the altar we shared a kiss, but all my vows have gone amiss
You’ve always kept me from attack, but I’ve plunged a knife into your back
I nailed you on a cross to die; my wickedness is all to blame
And as you hung there in the sky, I hung my head in piercing shame
I’ve done nothing to deserve your love; more like your wrath from up above
To take this ring off from my hand and toss away into the sand
To let the ocean swallow whole, just like the sin that plagues my soul
I feel it still inside my spine, a weed that wraps its twisting vines
Around my heart and does its best to never offer my spirit rest
And strives to choke out any sign of any righteousness divine
It is you that my heart longs to love, but in temptation I just give up
And tunnel deep into the ground so that my sin may not be found
Among the maggots and the filth, all my sinfulness and guilt
Is all I feel when I’m away and cheating on you with the grave
But somehow this is not the end; my loving husband, you descend
Down to me, your cheating bride. Regardless, you rush to my side
You pull me up from off the ground and slay the demons all around
But I fall again at your feet, and beg my husband his bride to keep
I whimper for the thousandth time to pardon me for all my crimes
Then you leaned down and held me close and witnessed my sincere remorse
You traded all my filthy rags for a pure white gown of grace
You kissed my cheek and calmed my fear and whispered softly in my ear
That I’m forgiven yet again, and I feel your love come pouring in

A third time I fell at His feet and thanked Him desperately
For his immense amazing grace that saved a wretch like me
I had His word that whenever I came begging at His feet
He’d pick me up and sanctify me, and complete His work in me
He promised me that He’d be there until the end of time
And no matter how far that I strayed, He’d be forever mine

Jesus loves us; this we know. His holy Word has told us so
On a cross our Savior bled; His precious blood has paid our debt
He descended to the depths of Hell and laid waste to the gates
He kicked in all the prison doors to save the human race
As he reached down to pick us up we tried to bite his hand
But Christ’s love overpowered us; He had another plan
He carried us out of that place in front of Satan’s face
And all that he could do was watch as Christ walked out the gate
Through Him we know the Father’s love; in Him we are complete
Free from sin and death we now can worship at His feet
Yet sin still wages its cruel war against our frail souls
But in Christ’s strength our fight is won and we are not alone
Not continuing in rebellion that His grace might abound
But fighting the good fight of faith, pressing on toward the crown
And when we draw this fleeting breath our mortal lives will cease
And we will fly up to the Bridegroom and His wedding feast
Free from sin and free from death, free to live with Christ.
Our loving Savior paid it all to save His precious Bride.

No comments:

Post a Comment