Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Ambition

This week has been really hectic for me. Just finished up an exam today, with another exam tomorrow and another one next Monday. Homework doesn't care how many exams you have either, and sure have that too. But as busy as I've been, I've really been liking school. I'm not sure what my point is with this but I was just thinking about what God wants me to do in life and how what I'm pursuing right now lines up with that. Also, I know that a lot of kids are in the same position I am tonight: stressed, discouraged, and possibly ready to quit. Read on.

I believe the best that I could possibly do in life is to conform daily to Christ's image and share Him with the world, work hard as unto the Lord and avoid being lazy, and be a good husband and father. I'm only 19 and nowhere close to having a family, so as for right now, my studies are my full-time job. I believe that it is my Godly responsibility to work hard in life and make something out of myself, to bring further glory to my King. I am very thankful to Christ for all the opportunities and gifts He's given me. I may be busy but I can understand higher-level math and actually enjoy some of it. It seems like just yesterday I was in high school, not knowing what my passions were, and now here I am at a university studying physics, mechanics, and high-level math. Only in Christ's power could I do this. Additionally, I have a huge passion for music and if I had it my way, I would spend a good portion of every day playing piano because I'm terribly addicted to playing it. I think that I'll end up buying a piano before a TV when I move out. Where am I going with this? Kids, find what God has made you passionate about and run with it.

I am passionate about many things, but in the end I had to settle on something. Airplanes seems like a random thing, but a lot of factors went into picking my major. I want to have a hand in building the next generation of military aircraft that will keep our nation safe from attack. There is something breathtaking about hundreds of thousands of pounds of steel arcing through the air at incredible speed. Fighters are a marvel of engineering; elegant, yet deadly. It takes a lot of work to get through the aeronautical program and only a handful each year graduate. It takes a lot of long hours in the library, a lot of prayer, and a lot of ambition.

I hope it doesn't sound like I'm bragging about being smart or having a lot of drive. Everything you're reading is the truth but that doesn't meant that I'm the smartest or the most determined. I'm nowhere near the smartest kid in the program and there have been many nights where I've questioned if I'm cut out for this. I'm not a straight-A student like I was in high school, but I've realized that in this major, that is extremely rare. If you can get an A in Physics II or Calc III, that is really an achievement. What I'm getting at is this: there have been many days where I've felt like I'm not good enough, and I've felt like giving up. Kids, don't. If you have your eyes set on a goal, chase it. If God has set something on your heart, see where it leads.

You can do anything you set your mind to.

Determination separates those who succeed from those who don't. The next time you feel discouraged about school, work, or anything else, cry out to God and press on towards the goal. One thing that college has taught me is to rely on God in everything, even things we don't think He'd care about, like school. The fact is, He does care. Cry out to Him.

Don't give up.

No comments:

Post a Comment